Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Too Many Movies, Too Little Time

Sometimes I worry about how much I love to read and go to movies.

I seem happy enough with my life; why do both of my favourite pastimes involve escaping into the lives of others?

Oh well, maybe a little too deep for a lazy Saturday morning.

..................................................................

I've seen two movies in the last week - both movies chosen to please others, but both movies that I enjoyed.

Tuesday evening (my regular "movie night" - Main Man and I alternate Tuesday evenings out to the show with friends. Tuesdays are written in stone - sacred.), my "movie buddy" from work and I went to Stormbreaker. My friend wanted to see it, and I felt I maybe should see it, as it it based on the popular young adult book by Anthony Horowitz, featuring reluctant teen spy Alex Rider. The kids - especially the boys - in my class are lapping up these books, and the timing of the movie couldn't be better.

Anyway, Stormbreaker was actually pretty good, and I'm glad I saw it. I know my boys will love it. Basically, Alex Rider is a fourteen-year-old James Bond, complete with gadgetry and even an ever-so-subtle Bond girl. Warning: as you might expect, there is a certain amount of violence, such as explosions, car crashes, martial arts sequences, and shootings.

Commercial break: We have discovered a great website that rates movies on sex/nudity, violence/gore, and profanity for kids. It breaks movies down to the bare bones in these categories and describes exactly what your kids will be watching in the movie. It also give a rating out of ten in each category. If you are a parent who has ever stood at the video store, wondering, wondering, wondering if a certain movie would be appropriate or not, you have to bookmark Kids in Mind. And now, back to our regular programming......

I read on IMDB that the role of Alex Rider in Stormbreaker was one of the most physically demanding roles ever created for a teenager, and I believe it. As I watched some of the fight scenes, I remember thinking, "Yeah, right, no fourteen-year-old kid would have muscles like that!" But it turns out, Alex Pettyfer (the actor) is sixteen years old, so I guess it's almost possible.

Last night, we rented Stick It, on the request of #1. I was wary, thinking he just wanted to see the girls in gymnastic leotards, but it turned out to be a very pleasant surprise.

It's the story of Haley Graham, a girl whose life seems to be falling apart: she's devastated by her parents' divorce, she's literally walked away from a promising gymnastics career, and she's having run-ins with the law.

She is "sentenced" to attend a gymnastics training school, and, of course, turns out to be the rebel without a cause. Eventually, though, she finds a cause, and I found the indictment of several aspects of high-level gymnastic competition enlightening.

Nothing seems sacred in this movie except the competitors. On the chopping block are over-ambitious coaches, meddling stage-mothers, and ridiculous judging rules.

Comedy breaks work well, too, as two of Haley's friends from her "wrong side of the law" days visit her at the gym school and inject their own interesting perspective.

Not half bad for a Friday night family video.


16 comments:

Bathroom Hippo said...



-shudders-

Library Mama said...

What's that supposed to mean?

Anonymous said...

I'd probably like Stick It. It sounds kind of funny.
The last movie I watched was Domino. Which is definitely not a family movie. But I liked it. And I didn't watch it with my family. Which was a good thing because it is....
Actually I don't even know why I mentioned the movie. I just thought it was good..
Ummm..Hope you are having a good weekend..

Library Mama said...

I haven't seen Domino, Happy, but I like Keira Knightley and Mickey Rourke, so I bet I'd enjoy it.

The story sounds a little bit like the "Stephanie Plum" books by Janet Evanovich that I enjoy so much.

Do you go to lots of movies?

Ummm..Yep, I'm having a great weekend. Hope you are too.

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

I'll say to the first few paras.
Enjoy each moment, LM...wherever the road leads.

love

Library Mama said...

Hi Susan, and thanks. I'll keep travelling those roads.

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Hi again LM,
Thanks for dropping by. Just to answer your question right on, picture was the immediate inspiration for the poem. Have a great Sunday when it happens for you. In my part of the world, it will soon end.

love as always

Library Mama said...

Hi Susan,

Hope your Sunday was great. Mine is just starting.

And I agree with Mentok; your new avatar is beautiful.

Anne-Marie said...

Hello,
The lure of flattery always works. :)

There is nothing wrong with a life of reading and watching movies, although I also like the life of writing thrown in just to keep the old noggin engaged. And music, must not forget music.

I like your movie reviews, although as an adult-only household, things are viewed a bit differently here. Have you seen Bon Cop, Bad Cop yet? We caught it at the cinema on Friday night- I haven't laughed so hard in ages, though it is gruesome in its depiction of graphic violence. Not for the kiddies.

Library Mama said...

Hey, Anne-Marie - Great to meet you.

I don't take the time to write as much as I would like to, but I do enjoy music. You're right.

No, I haven't seen Bon Cop, Bad Cop yet, but on your recommendation, I may go see it on my next movie night.

So glad you stopped by.

Bathroom Hippo said...


Stick it doesn't exactly sound like a terrific movie for movie night.

-shudders-

Library Mama said...

I wouldn't have chosen it myself, Hippo. Granted, it's not fine cinema.

Still, sometimes to keep the peace, especially in this household, I have to let someone else choose, and I was not really that thrilled with #1's choice.

However, after watching it, I sat back and said, "Hey, that wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected."

And that's not a bad thing to say after a family movie night.

Bathroom Hippo said...


That's like...

Having a girl dress you. I mean...sure you look okay to her...but you feel uncomfortable. I could never watch a movie where I would feel uncomfortable. Austin Powers ruined my life!

Library Mama said...

I'm still unclear about what would make you feel uncomfortable. The gymnastics outfits?

BTW - I never dress Mentok.

;-)

Mentok said...

Hippo, are you saying you felt uncomfortable watching Austin Powers? If so, please elaborate.

Library Mama said...

Yes, Hippo, do tell more.

Visits