Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Monday, October 23, 2006

Whew - What a Weekend!

As I kissed the boys goodnight last night, I said to them, "I'll be glad to go back to work after this weekend so I can get a little rest."

Because Friday was the actual day of #3's birthday, we went out for supper to celebrate. He chose a fairly new place in town that is basically a huge indoor playground with a little cafe on the side. We all ate supper, but the highlight, especially for #1 and #2, was the structure/ballpit/2 or 3 storey slide.

Saturday morning it was up-and-at-'em to get ready for the BIG PARTY. There were tons of preparations left to complete. My most daunting task was to fashion 6 Christmas stockings, 6 broom handles, and a selection of foamie craft materials into 6 wild mustang horses. And you know, I think I did pretty well!

In the midst of all the preparations, I also had to get #1 to his first curling lesson and #2 to his guitar lesson. Oh - and remember to pick them up, as well.

Then, at 3:30, it was SHOWTIME! For more info on the event itself, see Main Man's version. It's pretty close to the real thing. (By the way, don't forget to notice the extra-cool horses the kids are riding.)

As we cleaned up and packed up to go home (we had held the party in our church hall), we were pretty tired, but we had to shake it off, because that evening, we had a friend's 40th birthday party to attend. That was lots of fun, but we had to make it a fairly early night, because of our big day.

Sunday morning, I taught Sunday School. Then, #2 was off to a friend's birthday party for most of the afternoon (the son of the fellow whose 40th we attended the night before) while the rest of us blitzed the house, because we were having #3's family birthday supper that evening. We were expecting Main Man's mother and his brother and sister-in-law to join us.

He had ordered lasagne, garlic toast and Caesar salad, so it was fairly easy to prepare, but the house really did need some attention, so it was another busy day.

Suffice it to say that I got NO homework done this weekend, so I'm starting the week off WAY behind, but it's not the first time, so I'm sure I'll cope.

13 comments:

Bathroom Hippo said...


You looked hot in that costume!

Grumps said...

Know exactly what you mean. We had G&L in from WPG on Fri (their friend Craig was getting married), Saturday I worked and Grumpspouse spent most of the day at RUH with her mom (she's fine). On Sunday, they had two chruch services to go to while in between we worked on continuing to clean up after a leaky roof got into two bedrooms in Sept.

Back at work I can at least sit all day, writing and surfing the net which is all part of my job.

Library Mama said...

Thank you, Hippo. It wasn't the most comfortable outfit I've owned.

Grumps - Did you have G&L and the whole family?

Sorry to hear about the leaky roof. Was there a lot of damage? Yuuuccch!

Lowa said...

Sounds like quite a party! LOL Man, that is funny how you warned him about them being scared and he did not listen! Teehee. Not funny that they were scared, just funny how for some reason men don't give us any credit for having common sense.

Since I am woman, all I thought when I saw your outfit was "I wish I was that slim again and still had hips!" and "The pain!" LOL I can see how a guy could get excited by it, though! What a weekend you have had!

Wow, just hearing RUH makes me home sick. I was born in City (just across the River by Kinsmen Park) but many of our foster babies spent a lot of time at RUH. My nephew was born at RUH, before it was RUH! LOL I need to check out this grumps person:) They obviously live in S'toon.

Rest up, LM. You done good.

Library Mama said...

Lowa - It was a time when it wasn't even enjoyable to say, "I told you so." All I wanted was for the tears to stop. I was panicking about how to explain sobbing kids to parents when they came to pick them up. It was all okay eventually, though.

You're right about, "The pain!" That costume made me appreciate what southern belles had to cope with when they had to wear those corset thingies.

And yes, Grumps is a good friend of ours from S'toon.

Anonymous said...

I got tired just reading about your weekend..

Library Mama said...

Hah! Now that you mention it, Happy, I've got to stop reading about it too. It's exhausting!

;-)

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Your Mummy management is top-class, LM!
And you looked drop-dead gorgeous in your saloon costume too.
There's no doubt about it.
Take it from a former fashion journalist.
And so here's wishing you a tranquil week.

Library Mama said...

Thank you, Susan, for all of your lovely compliments.

I'm not sure a tranquil week is in store for me. I'm sure I've forgotten the meaning of the word tranquil in this household. Still, after last weekend, this week can only be an improvement.

..................... said...

there's no tranquility with kids...either at home and definitely at school. I started the week by leaving my plan book at home.....oops....
i managed..

Library Mama said...

Ha, Schaumel, that is so funny, because I left mine at home this morning. Even funnier, it was 2:00 this afternoon before I discovered that I'd forgotten it. Most days, I don't even look at it until I go to write the next day's plan into it.

Anonymous said...

Whew! I'm tired just reading your post. Glad you had a great birthday celebratory weekend. And I'm with you on the "resting" at work. I feel that way a lot of Monday mornings. ;)

Library Mama said...

Jamie - I know - I'm starting to feel a little more rested now.

This coming weekend is much the same, except most of the action is in the evenings, and the days will be a chance to do homework and housework.

Visits