Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Election Day

Today is civic election day in our fair province. All across the province, people will be voting for their local representatives and for school board members.

It's been an interesting race in our community. A fellow from down the street is running for city councillor. Quite a few of our neighbours have signs up supporting him. We don't. Frankly, I've never met him. I don't know - if your neighbour was running in an election, wouldn't you expect him to knock on your door and introduce himself?

Our next door neighbour told us a funny story. He was out in his front yard one day a few weeks ago, when someone in a red convertible Mercedes scoots up and parks in front of his yard (on the wrong side of the street, incidentally). Turns out, it was Campaign Guy from down the street. Without getting out of his fancy schmancy car, he shouts out to our neighbour,"Hey, wanna put up a sign for me?" Like me, our neighbour had never met the guy, and it took a few moments to clue in to what he meant. Once he did clue in, though, he politely declined.

Two nights ago, one of the candidates (not my neighbour) rang my doorbell, shook my hand, and spoke to me. He is a retired teacher and administrator who has lived in our ward since he was a child. He told me how he has wanted to run for office for a long time, but did not feel he could do a good job while he was working full time and raising a family. Now that he is retired and his children are older, he feels that he can devote the required time and energy to his civic responsibilities. The man has my vote.

And yesterday, when I got home from work, I noticed that our next door neighbour had Mr. Doorknocker's sign on their lawn.

4 comments:

Mentok said...

Haha happy that's a great observation about ppl w funny names. I'll have to remember that.

That reminds me of stories I've heard about elections in Australia, where voting is mandatory. They have a phenomenon called "donkey voting". A segment of voters couldn't care less and just vote to avoid the fine. Since they tend to tick off the first name on the list, Australian parties tend to recruit guys with names like "Aaron".

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Hi LM,
I agree with you about the retired teacher being able to bank on your vote.
What an intelligent post today!
With this condensed content, you speak on life's priceless lessons.
The guy with the red convertible reminds me of how selfish some people are. Or rather, that they just wring you dry for their own gains and don't have a conscience to worry about it.

love as always

Library Mama said...

Happy - Did your fellow win?

Our school board elections are divided into wards here, so, although lots of people are running, I had the choice of just two. I personally know and like one of them, but he didn't get in.

Susan - Thank you for your compliment, as always.

Red Convertible Guy didn't win the election, but neither did Retired Teacher Guy. Instead, a very young fellow - a lawyer who doesn't even live in our ward - got in. I don't like that he doesn't live in our area.

Library Mama said...

Thanks, Karen. I know - it was too bad. I hope he runs again, but I have a sneaking suspicion that he won't. Rejection is hard enough the first time to risk it many more times.

Visits