Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Brace Yourself

#1 had an orthodontist appointment yesterday.

Braces are in his not-so-distant future.

He's being so positive about it; I'm so proud of him. He'll wear them for about two years, we've been told. Main Man, who took him to his appointment, said that the first words out of #1's mouth once he left the office were,"I'll have straight teeth for high school."

I think I'll have to take him to his next appointment; Main Man tells me that I will probably think that the orthodontist is some kind of Hunk Stunkleton. Young, handsome, good bedside manner - hmmmm.......

#1 related a funny story to me about the waiting room. As they were waiting, #1 was reading his "Series of Unfortunate Events" book (the last one - released last Friday). Main Man noticed there was an X-Box over in the corner of the room. He showed it to #1, who opted to continue reading.

When the receptionist came to get #1, she found him reading, and she asked, "Did your dad come?"

"Oh yeah - he's over in the corner, playing X-Box."

Now, which one is the twelve-year-old?

11 comments:

Bathroom Hippo said...


Nothing wrong with adults playing childish video games. Nothing wrong at all. Hahaha...you married a child!

Library Mama said...

Hippo - I knew that from the moment I said, "Yes!" to his proposal. ;-p

Lowa said...

That is hysterical! Sounds exactly like something Stud would do! LOL I can SO picture Brain and Stud in the same scenario.

I saw that book at Target the other day and called Brain and asked him if he wanted it. What a silly question. I brought it home late afternoon and he devoured it by that night. He now has all of them, in hard cover. Very nice collection sitting on top of his dresser.

He has also just started a Legends of Ga'Hoole series, about Owls, you heard of it??? It's been around a while, I think and he just now got to them. They are by Katherine Lasky or something like that? He started the series a few days ago and is on the 12th book now! LOL Granted, they only average 200 pages each, approx. So they are not terribly meaty or anything. I bet our boys have similar tastes in books? Our oldest ones, I mean.

Smart one, your #1. Thinking ahead to high school:) Looks like all four of ours are going to need braces. Brain should get his within the next year. His are fairly straight, but he has a gap and is forming an under-bite of all things!


Ok, I'll shut up for now! Dying to hear about #3's party!

..................... said...

That's funny! My husband might do the same..

Anonymous said...

Braces are so common now that I feel almost sorry for kids who don't need them..

Library Mama said...

Lowa - Yes, we went to a big celebration at our local bookstore on the evening of the launch of the last "SUE" book. It was very poorly run, actually. I won't go into details, but one thing (of many) was that they didn't have enough hot cocoa to go around, and our #3 ended up in tears. (After all, he wasn't a big 6-year-old man yet!) As we walked to the van, #1 broke the tension by saying, "Now that was a series of unfortunate events!"

Yes, I'm familiar with Guardians of Ga'Hoole. I have them in my library at school, but I've never read one. I love when kids devour a series.

Karen - Thank you for saying that. Actually, I've never thought of it that much, but I guess you're right. They do tend to be pretty positive.

Schaumel - The more people I tell this story to, the more I realize that your husband and mine are not unlike most men. Every woman I've told this to laughs. Every man I've told it to has an expression on his face like: what's so funny about that?

Happy - When I was #1's age, I really wanted braces. I still have quite an over-bite that I'm sure could have been fixed. And it seemed like all the "cool kids" had them (braces, that is, not over-bites).

Library Mama said...

Barbara - I know. Luckily, my insurance covers some of it, but a substantial portion will come from our pockets. Even worse, I'm almost positive our #2 will also need braces in the next few years.

*sigh*

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

LM,
I only have one thing to say.
The verdict being:
Very Handsome!

Library Mama said...

Oh, Susan, sorry, the pic is not #1. I'm still not quite brave enough to post pictures of my own boys.

Hope all is well with you.

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Hi LM,
No, I think you have something there, considering there are always safety issues to consider on the Net.
love

Library Mama said...

Susan - That is a big part of my decision, but also the boys might be embarassed. ;-)

Visits