Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Thankful Thursday


This week, I am thankful for...

... the fabulous grooming job our groomer did on Ruffy, our schnoodle (schnauzer/poodle cross). He was in really rough shape. His fur is so fine, and we are so poor at brushing him. He was a matted up mess. He is now a sleek, stunning specimen of canine comeliness. (He also received a free frisbee, so even he was happy with the results.)

... the excitement I am experiencing right now, because later this morning, I (like Ruffie) have a salon appointment. I desperately need something new. I've let my hair grow out, and I've been very lazy with it; it's been a pony-tail kinda summer. I even made an appointment for a colour. I haven't coloured my hair since college!

... our wonderful neighbours - the same ones with the raspberries from a couple of weeks ago - who have supplied us with fresh garden carrots and cucumbers this week. They are brilliant gardeners.

... our city fair, in town this week. The boys and I spent the afternoon there yesterday. Then Main Man met us there for supper and we spent the evening there together. Main Man doesn't usually like the fair very much, but the boys are at such a great age now, it's impossible not to get excited when you see their faces. All of the boys (Main Man included) got those wristbands giving them unlimited rides, and - believe me - we got our money's worth!

... our boys' respect for money. I'm not sure how we've instilled it; I guess it's just a result of never having enough money (do any of us have enough money?) - but I can't remember the last time they whined or tantrumed for us to buy them something. Yesterday at the fair, we were there three hours before we spent any money - except for parking. Oh - we had pre-purchased the wristbands the day before.

... Main Man's friends. On Saturday, Main Man went to a "stag" party for a friend who is getting married this weekend. The group of them went to a football game and drank way too much, but they didn't do anything too silly. I'm thankful I don't have to worry when he's out with his friends.

... new and long-time blog friends. You just can't beat the rush of checking in and finding a comment or two waiting to be read. Thanks for being there, everybody!

3 comments:

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Sounds like you have a great weekend coming up, L. Mama. And a haircut always feels like it gives a new lease of life.

BarbaraMG said...

I have been blogging for over 2.5 years and I never get tired of comments. :)
Learning a respect for money is so important. Way to go on teaching them!

Library Mama said...

Susan - Yes, if the weather cooperates, it should be a great weekend. Hope you have a great one too. And I feel like a new person with my new 'do. Even my boys like it.

Barbara - I know - aren't comments the best? It seems we're doing something right with the money lessons. I really like the idea you wrote of once - about trying to avoid debt altogether. Alas, not in the cards for us at this time... :-(

Visits