Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Book Review: The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

I'm sure many of you have already read Alexander McCall Smith's The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. I finally got around to it while on our vacation.

I found myself smiling at the quaintness of the stories and the intelligence and grace of the main character, Mma (Precious) Ramotswe. She takes the inheritance left her by her beloved father and uses it to set up a small detective agency - just herself and a secretary.

Turns out, she is a born detective. She has the power to outwit even the most evil of wrongdoers without using complicated, convoluted thinking. Her cases range from the sublime to the ridiculous, and each and every one is intriguing to read about.

My only complaint about the book is that the writing seemed choppy to me. When I give writing lessons to my students, we discuss the importance of sentence fluency. Upon reading The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, I can't help but thinking that Smith must have been absent from school during those lessons. Still, he may have been doing it purposely, depicting the way Mma Ramotswe would speak English, as it would not be her native tongue. If you've read it, let me know what you think.

3 comments:

Bathroom Hippo said...


BAND CAMP!


I mean... THING!

Library Mama said...

Hippo - Yup, I got that THING you sent me! ;-)

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Hi LM,
I know from visits to the African safaris that the many who speak English, speak it really well. Fluent, definitely!
So you have a good point.

Visits