Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

A"Ruff" Time

We've been away for a few days. No time right now to post in detail about our adventures. Suffice it to say that it was great to go, but equally great to return home.

Last night before we began the drive home, we had a picnic in the park. We think that Ruffy, our dog, was bitten by a wasp. At the time, we didn't even know about it. He didn't whimper or yelp. The only evidence appeared to be a freshly dead wasp on the ground near the place Ruffy was tied up.

After the two and a half hour ride home, though, it was obvious something was wrong. Poor Ruffy was really favouring one of his back legs. He managed to hop out of the van, but required help climbing the steps to our front door.

Further investigation showed swelling and redness on the outside of his thigh. We're pretty sure it was a wasp bite.

He seemed to sleep quite well, and was a little less uncomfortable in the morning, but his still limps slightly.

I had never thought about wasps stinging dogs. We never had that trouble with our last dog.

And what a coincidence that it should happen just weeks after Main Man had his wasp encounter!P.S. Although I got this photo off the internet, it is an exact depiction of our Ruffy. Isn't that just the sweetest face?!

3 comments:

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Hi LM,
Yes, Ruffy's is the sweetest face! How painful it must have been for him. Is he feeling better now?

Bathroom Hippo said...


Poor Ruffles the wuffles =(

Wasps must hate the Mentok family.

Actually, I had a scary bug attack yesterday as well...a poisonous spider attack!

Lowa said...

Aaaaawwwww PRECIOUS!

Poor little thing. Is he feeling better today??

Man, we have wanted a dog for a long time. Stud says no. *sniff*

I meant to tell you. That is so sweet that you feel bad that you were not able to read my blog while in S'toon and be there for me:) I can understand totally, I would feel the same about you if you were in my shoes:)

Where is your hubby?? Is he busy? He hasn't been commenting much on here!!

Visits