Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006


As promised, a few anecdotes from #1's band camp.....

I think he was a little apprehensive at first that lots of kids would know each other and he would be the odd man out. By the end of the first day's family barbecue, though, he already seemed more comfortable, as he saw that everyone was in the same boat.

Upon returning to our cabin after dropping #1 off, we found his toothbrush, so Main Man dropped it off the day after. Main Man missed him so much, he wanted to drop by a couple of days later to "make sure the camp hadn't burned down". I wouldn't let him.

His closest friend from camp was a real "womanizer" (well, the closest one can come to being a womanizer at the age of 11!). I think #1 felt he was in a good place because, being a good friend of this boy, he got the attention of the girls without even trying too hard.

There was one boy in his cabin who was (according to #1) not very kind to the others. On the last day of camp, some of the boys from the cabin snuck the offending boy's camera and snapped pictures of their butts!

On the last night, there was a wild party (#1's expression). There was dancing until 1:00 in the morning, a bonfire, and all the rootbeer floats they could drink. #1 had four of them, I'm told.

Since camp, #1 has been emailing and MSNing a girl. The notable thing is that it's Main Man's boss's niece. Hmmmmmm ....... could be interesting.

5 comments:

Lowa said...

Sounds fun! That is SO CUTE about him keeping in touch with a girl. teehee

What does he play again, maybe you mentioned it, but I can't recall.

Library Mama said...

Yes, Lowa, I'm not exactly sure how I feel about that. I'm pleased she's from Main Man's boss's family. Somehow that is comforting.

He plays the alto sax - quite well, I might add. Of course I'm not biased at all! ;-)

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

All sounds cool, Library Mama!

By the way, I've left a comment in the entry below, as well.

Library Mama said...

Susan - It was cool. Main Man and I are constantly telling him that the sax is the coolest instrument to play. Doesn't it conjure up images of ultra-cool jazz musicians with shades on?

Karen - You're right - I forgot to mention the "band" part. Apparently, with private lessons, sectional practices, theory lessons, and full band rehearsals, they were playing their instruments for five hours a day. #1 tells me that he is well practiced up to begin the school year!

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Speaking of jazz, my favourite still stays, David Brubeck's Take Five.

Visits