Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Friday, August 04, 2006

A Book Meme


This is a meme I picked up from Booklogged. Thanks, friend. It was fun to go through all the titles. I have to admit, though, I'm embarassed how many of these I haven't heard of.

Also, some of the books indicated to be "on my shelf" are actually on my son's or my husband's shelf. I'm actually not much of a book owner. (I know - shameful!) I'm more of a library gal.

Look at the list of books below. Highlight in red the ones you’ve read, highlight in green the ones you might read, leave the ones you won’t read in black, italicize the ones on your book shelf, and place parentheses around the ones you’ve never even heard of.

The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
The Hitchhhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audry Niffenegger

(His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman) I've heard of Pullman, just not this particular book.
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
(Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland)
Animal Farm by George Orwell
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon

Lord of the Flies by William Golding
1984 by George Orwell
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
(One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
(The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold)
Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut
Angels and Demons by Dan Brown
Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
(Crytonomicon by Neal Stephenson)
(The Secret History by Donna Tartt)
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
(Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides)
(Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell)
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkein
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
(Good Omens by Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman)
Atonement by Ian McEwan
(The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zago)
The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
Dune by Frank Herbert
(The History of Love by Nichole Krauss)

6 comments:

Booklogged said...

Library Mama, so fun to read your list. Let me strongly encourage you to read Girl in Hyacinth Blue and The History of Love. They are two of my all-time favorites. Both are quite confusing to start with, but by the end I think you'll feel their impact. When do you start back to school?

Library Mama said...

Well, Booklogged, I will definitely add those two to my list!

I'm not sure the exact date I start back (isn't that terrible?), but I think it may be Aug. 24. Don't worry - I'll find out in time. ;-)

Booklogged said...

I start back on Aug 21, but the students don't come until the 23. About the Lerner Biographies - you can look them up on amazon.com to get an idea of what they have. They are not all authors, in fact the diversity is good. There's Eisenhower, Pinkerton, Gandi, Chaplin to name a few.

Anonymous said...

I love this meme! Memoirs of a Geisha is very good and To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorite all-time books. Fun...

p.s. I like Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Love in the Time of Cholera

Library Mama said...

Booklogged - What grade level do you teach? This year I'll have a fifth grade home room for half the time and management of the library half the time. I'll look into that biography series.

Jamie - I'll have to add Love in the Time of Cholera to my list.

Karen - I love the teaching method you're using with your juniors. I find kids really get into becoming "experts" in something and then teaching their classmates all about it. They seem to take it more seriously when they think they're in charge of someone else's learning.

Mentok said...

You've missed a number of books of mine on our bookshelves:

Dune by Frank Herbert
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut
1984 by George Orwell
Animal Farm by George Orwell

Visits