Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Model Values

Last night, I became inexplicably caught up in an episode of America's Next Top Model. I began to better understand the rumours I had heard about many successful models being self-centred and void of a benevolent value system.

I used to think that, because people were so constantly praising them for their looks, their vanity slowly got the best of them. That makes sense to me.

In this particular episode, though, I found that, on top of all that, they are deliberately groomed to be self-centred and egotistical.

One girl in this episode was experiencing great difficulty with acrophobia during a photo-shoot. The "coach" fellow was giving her a pep-talk as the previous girl's photo-shoot was happening.

At judging time at the end of show, the previous girl complained that her photos were poor because she hadn't received the advice she should have, because the fearful girl was monopolizing the coach.

Tyra Banks reply?

"How could you possibly allow another girl's welfare to come between you and your future?"

Huh?

6 comments:

Bathroom Hippo said...


what a bi***. I will stop downloading her photos...for awhile.

BarbaraMG said...

Nice. And we wonder why the world is such a shitty place.

Anonymous said...

Normal men have known this for a long time. That's why we don't marry models.
Well that and the fact that they won't go out with us..

Lowa said...

YIKES!

Scary stuff.

I worry for my daughter. She is 5 and is SO ARROGANT, it is NOT FUNNY. She is getting better about it. Everyone always tells us to get her into modeling/acting etc. We wonder why we would want her head to swell even more?? Although...the money she would make us is tempting! LOL

I jest.

Library Mama said...

Good boy, Hippo. ;-)

Barbara - I know. Stories like that make me glad I have boys. They're certainly not perfect, but at least they're not like that.

Happy - It's their loss. :-)

Lowa - I think that may just be a product of being 5. She hasn't yet been squashed by thoughtless adult comments or peer pressure. I'm sure she'll be fine. :-) (But no, I wouldn't recommend the modelling route.)

Library Mama said...

Karen - What happy news!!! How are you feeling? What does Pelo Loco think of his new baby brother? Oooooh - I'm so happy for you!

Visits