Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Friday, August 11, 2006

Hello Dear Friends,

And thank you for your patience.

I'm sorry I have not been a very faithful blogger this past week. I am well, as I hope you are all, too.

Main Man is on holidays now, so we are "on the run" so to speak. He is a restless holidayer, probably because he gets two weeks instead of my two months. He can't stay at home for very long, so this has been our calendar of events:

1. We attended the wedding of very good friends - the groom is #3's Godfather. These two have been together for as long as I've known them, and they are a match made in Heaven. However, due to academic commitments halfway across the country, they've not been able to physically be together much of that time. Even Main Man had a bit of a tear in his eye as we witnessed vows we've been looking forward to for years.

2. We spent three days at a theatre festival in Saskatoon (two and a half hours away). Lots of little plays, street performers, and interesting food from street vendors. The son of our very good friends is in a teen improv group, and their play was a HUGE hit! (MJ and T must be very proud!) Our older boys even attended it a second time. Remember - it's improv - never the same performance twice!

3. These last three days, we have been enjoying what Main Man has dubbed a "stay-cation" (taken from the tv show Corner Gas). Although we sleep in our own beds at night, we spend the day exploring beaches and resorts in our own backyard (so to speak). We drive somewhere after lunch, spend the afternoon on the beach, have a barbecue on the beach for supper, then drive home. The first couple of days were pretty good - we went to resorts an hour or so away and had a nice relaxing time. Yesterday, not so much. Main Man chose a resort two and a half hours away, much of which was on gravel road. Although the beach was wonderful, the long time in the van was a little too much. On the up side, I got a lot of reading done. On the down side, all the driving on terrible roads finally gave us a flat tire, and Main Man ended up changing it in the dark. We were all very happy to arrive home safe and sound at the end of the day.

4. Today, Main Man is popping into the office to do a little work. I get to do laundry, buy groceries, and pack for tomorrow, when we leave for a week at the lake. #1 is attending his first band camp (I can't wait for the first time I hear him say, "One time, at band camp....."), and we've rented a cabin at a resort just down the road from his camp. #1 said to me, "You're not going to visit me at camp, are you?" I said that I wouldn't come right into the camp, because I didn't want to embarrass him. I would just stand at the gate and wave and shout, "Hi, Honey! Are you having fun with your little friends? Did you remember to put clean underwear on today?" ;-)

So, yes, not only have I not been a very faithful blogger this week, but I won't be around next week either. Please don't give up on me. As Ah-nold says in his inimitable manner, "I'll be ba-ah-ck!"

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are having fun on the mini vacations.
I like your idea of standing at the gate at #1's camp. Of course the counselling sessions you will be paying for for the rest of his life will get expensive but it will be worth it, tee,hee.. And I'm sure eventually he'll make a full recovery..

Booklogged said...

Library Mama, is that a picture of #1? If so she is sure a cute girl. I tell my kids my whole enjoyment in life is doing little things, like calling to them from the gate, to embarass them. JK But it is indeed fun to give those teenage kids a bad time, isn't it.

You're mini-vacations sound delightful.

Bathroom Hippo said...


I thought I saw Mentok at Band Camp!

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Hi L.Mama,
Here's looking forward to your return to the blogging scene.
How wonderful for you to have 'Main Man' in your life. That means, never a dull moment.
love

Library Mama said...

Just a quick note before we set off...

Happy - Good to see you again. Yes, that therapy could get a little pricey - and I'm not sure my insurance covers it if the condition is caused by the mother. Guess I'd better be careful. ;-)

Booklogged - No, that is not #1. Alas, I am the only female in this sea of testosterone I call home.

Blondemom - Thanks for the wishes. I hope I get a chance to relax. Every now and then I wonder what I'm doing, leaving behind my dishwasher, my microwave, my television, my computer... Am I crazy?!?

Hippo - What instrument did you play at band camp? Bet you have some great stories! ;-)

Susan - You have that right! There never is a dull moment with Main Man around!

Karen - Yes, do try the stay-cation. Much nicer to be able to sleep in your own bed. Also, much easier with a new baby. (However - if the baby sleeps during all the travelling in the car, you may have a tough night!) Hope you're keeping well.

Big Pissy said...

Hope y'all are having a great time! :)

Lotus Reads said...

Very excited to have discovered your blog! I have seen your comments both at booklogged and Susan Abraham's blog and just had to stop by to say "Hello"!

So glad to know you're having a wonderful holiday. Our holiday is almost at an end, soon we'll be making our way back to Canada.

Will visit again soon.

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Nice to see you here,Lotus.
I have a feeling Library Mama is going to love your book posts.

Hi Library Mama,
Dropped by spontanously to say I'm missing you.

Lowa said...

Yes, I am missing you too! I know you are having a lovely holiday, though!

That photo of the girl from that movie is funny! Sometimes when one of my kids says, "This one time..." I cut them off and add "...at band camp...". NOw they do it, and I realised that may not be the best thing. If other people who have seen the movie overhear them, people will think they have seen this movie and obviously none of them have and won't for a long time to come! LOL

Can't wait for you to get back!!

Library Mama said...

Pissy - Thanks so much. Yes, we had a great time!

Lotus - How wonderful of you to stop by. It's so nice to meet you. I will pop by your blog soon.

Susan - Thank you for checking in. I was missing all of my blog friends, too.

Lowa - Missed you too! Yes, my boys are the same. #1 had many stories about camp (as I'm sure you can imagine), and he's getting major comedy value out of, "This one time, at band camp....". And - no - he hasn't seen the movie either!

Thanks so much, you guys. Great to know you were thinking of me.

I will try to get a new post up today between unpacking, laundry, buying school supplies, etc...!!!

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Oh,wonderful Library Mama.
It's great that you had yourself a grand holiday.
Hope Ruff's alright.
Booklogged's friend and mine, Lotus, is from Toronto. She's holidaying in Wales at the moment but will be back in her home and on her blog, on Aug 25.

Library Mama said...

Ruffy is doing just fine, Susan. Thank you for remembering. He enjoyed his time at the cabin too, although he didn't like being left in an unfamiliar place when we had to leave him behind.

Thank you for filling me in on Lotus. And how wonderful that she is Canadian - just like me!

Visits