Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Priorities

#2 left his bike at the park across the street last night. He had ridden over to the park after supper, joined up with some neighbourhood friends, then walked home, forgetting that he had even taken his bike.

When he went back across the street to retrieve it, it was not there.

Normally, a situation like this would elicit a tirade about responsibility and the value of property from me. Last night was slightly different, though.

#2 was very sorry and very worried, and, as the two of us walked across the street to double-check together, I think he expected to be yelled at. He wasn't.

I think my reaction was a result of this story.

Over the past three or four days, our supposedly safe little province has been holding its collective breath, hoping, praying, and waiting for good news about ten-year-old Zachary Miller, believed to be abducted by convicted pedophile Peter Whitmore.

Yesterday, we were able to exhale.

Zachary - and Jordan Bruyere, a fourteen-year-old boy also caught in Whitmore's web - are now safe and sound, and Whitmore is now in police custody.

Somehow, a missing bicycle doesn't seem like a big deal.

6 comments:

Library Mama said...

**By the way, his bicycle was in the park, right where he had left it. It was just a little too dark for him to see it.

I don't see a future in private investigation for this boy! ;-)

Bathroom Hippo said...


I see a future President!

Library Mama said...

You forget, Hippo, he's not an American citizen. ;-)

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

How inspiring this read, L.Mama. The infinite depths of a mom's love is such isn't it, & with you, the ability to catch a real blessing ahead of a difficult moment.

Bathroom Hippo said...


We cartoon characters get along so well.

Library Mama said...

Susan - Thank you for your kind comments. I can't help but think that, perhaps if I had blown up at him on the way over to the park, the bicycle may not have been there. A silly thought probably...

Hippo - ???

Visits