Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Saturday, August 05, 2006

He Ain't Sniffly - He's My Brother

#2 has been learning to cook this summer.

He has thrown himself into it with utter abandon. Whenever I'm cooking, his first inquiry is always, "Can I make it?"

Often, the answer has to be, "No," because he's not quite ready to prepare that particular dish.

The response is almost always, "Well, can I help?"

He's built up quite a repertoire of dishes he can prepare by himself: fried and scrambled eggs, soup, grilled cheese sandwiches, macaroni and cheese.

His interest in cooking has warmed my heart, but a couple of evenings ago, I thought my heart would boil over.

#1 was in the throes of a summer cold: coughs, sniffles, aches, pains. He asked #2 to make him some chicken noodle soup.

Away they went to the kitchen, and #1 waited at the table, chatting with #2 while he puttered away at the stove. Before I knew it, they were both seated at the table, enjoying a steamy bowl of chicken noodle soup with soda crackers.

It was a Campbell's moment.

8 comments:

Busy Mom said...

Very sweet!

Anonymous said...

That is awesome! My mom just got the girls cooking aprons. Perhaps this will instill in them the love for cooking since I don't love it so much.

Bathroom Hippo said...


Today chicken noodle soup,
Tomorrow the world.

Library Mama said...

I know, BusyMom! No squabbling for about 20 minutes. Hard to believe!

I'm not really into cooking either, Jamie. Actually, Main Man probably enjoys cooking more than I do. I saw the picture of the aprons your mom gave your girls. Adorable!

Remember, Hippo, this is the son who will be president some day! ;-)

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Sounds like he cooks a lot better than I do.

Lowa said...

That is PRECIOUS!

They sure can be sweet, eh?? My kids have moments like that also. The other day Jock made pancakes from scratch for Princess because she was craving them for breakfast:) He tore the kitchen apart and made an absolute mess, but it was still priceless:) They were YUMMY too!

Bathroom Hippo said...



Where is the Library Mama?

I blame Mentok!

Library Mama said...

Susan - I doubt that! But I will say that I think he enjoys it more than I do. :-)

Lowa - Good for Jock! At this stage of the game, I know #2 would love to make pancakes, but I don't think they could be described as yummy (not yet, anyway).

Hippo - I'm fine, Buddy. We've just been away for a couple of days. Thanks for noticing, though. :-)

Visits