Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Monday, August 21, 2006

Cabin Fever (the good kind)

What a great holiday we had!

Well, except for my backing the van into the cabin steps. Main Man yelled at me so loudly, I'm sure everyone in the resort knew that I had done it.

Still, what's a week at the lake without a "mishap" story? I just wish mine could have been about the fish that got away.

The weather was great. The only down day was Wednesday, but even that worked well because we were ready for a day of reading, playing cards and watching a little tv in the middle of our week.

Our cabin was just a short walk from both the beach and the playground, and it had all the amenities a cabin should have, even a little more. The deck looked directly out over the beach, with a few trees in between - just enough to keep the beach noise from drifting up too noisily. Also, looking out through the sunlight-dappled leaves to the azure sky and the matching lake water, you would think you were in heaven.

We were fortunate to know the people who own the cabin next door to ours (Main Man's boss, actually), and they were able to introduce us to cabin-ers up and down the street, so we quickly became entrenched in the culture of the community - especially the evening campfires. What fun!

Busy day today with unpacking, cleaning out the van, laundry, and straightening up a house that was sorely neglected as we prepared for our trip. Also, I really must get my head around the fact that school starts for me later this week. Aaaaach!

Anyway, I have to make this entry short, but I hope to write again soon about #1's adventures at band camp and reviews of the six or seven books I've read in the last ten days or so.

9 comments:

Mentok said...

Hey, you forgot to mention our signature drink!

We've taken up the practice of coming up with a new cocktail recipe for daily consumption when we go on holidays.

This year it was the famed NOLA drink classic, The Hurricane.

Read the recipe here.

The trouble with Hurricanes, as Library Mama will attest, is that they go down TOO easy, get you lickered very quickly and result in the most monstrous hang-overs you'll ever experience.

But they're still a lot of fun at the time.

Lowa said...

Sounds like you guys had a blast! Besides the backing the van into the steps. MENTOK! You should be ASHAMED of yelling at your beloved wife:)

I can't wait to hear about #1's camp experiences and the books you read.

I am curious about what lake (resort, whatever) that you went to. There are so many in the pairies, I wonder if I will recognise the name or will have been there meself. I personally have fond childhood memories of weeks in cabins at Waskesiu. Am I spelling that right?? Oh well. at any rate...Ahhhhh...what good times.

Mentok said...

Waskesiu is one of those place names you are allowed to spell any way you like...just like Saskatchewan itself.

Seriously, have you never noticed that you never see the province spelled the same way twice? As soon as you get past "S-A-S-K...", people just give up and type random letters ;-)

We were at White Bear, near Kenosee.

Lowa said...

Haha, good point on the spelling, Mentok! LOL

Hmmm...never been there. Just the name makes is sound nice, though. Wish we could go on a vacation:( *sniff*

Library Mama said...

Mentok - Slight correction. I did not use the Hurricane for "daily consumption".

I'm afraid Hurricane season unexpectedly hit me quite hard early in the week, causing me to batten down the hatches for a few days. Finally, by our second last evening, I felt prepared to face another onslaught. Luckily, this second encounter was a little less violent. ;-)

Lowa - Yes, Mentok grew up down south, so we often holiday down there. However, we have been up to my sister's cabin at Emma Lake (on the way to Waskesiu) a few times.

Karen - Good to hear from you. Any special news yet from your way? Now that school is starting, I may not get over to check as often. Hope you're feeling well. How's the nesting going? :-)

Bathroom Hippo said...


Hooray you're back. I thought you were dead. Those Cabin steps needed to be dented. Mentok was just jealous that you did it before he could.

The new cocktail recipe? 99% Alcohol, 1% Flip the bird at your boss.

Library Mama said...

Hi Hip!

That cocktail is not the right one for me. I like my boss and I like my job. I especially like the money I get from my job!

It's good to be back. :-)

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Hi L.M.
Welcome back! Hope the van didn't pick up a bump!
You've painted a vivid, colourful picture of your grand time-out! Looks like you had fun just relaxing and watching the stars!
Here's wondering if you sang any old jamboree songs during those campfires...
love

Library Mama said...

It was a very relaxing time, Susan. Unfortunately, though, the bumper of the van does have a wound. Hopefully it won't cost a fortune to repair.

No old jamboree songs, I'm afraid, but lots of classic rock 'n' roll. :-)

Visits