Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Thankful Thursday


This week I am thankful for...

... Main Man's garden. It isn't huge, but we've had our fair share of bounty. Tomatoes, cucumbers, jalapeno peppers - all of them are "hanging around" our kitchen, trying to find a home. Eventually they'll be safe and sound in somebody's tummy!

... our little dog Ruffy. He is a very important part of our family. No one loves me as much as he does. I saw a bumper sticker over the summer that summed it up perfectly: "May I someday become the person my dog thinks I am".

... our neighbourhood. It's like a small town in the middle of a city. We live across the street from the boys' elementary school. The daycare the boys used to attend is in the basement of the school. We are within walking distance of our church and the high school the boys will attend. When we attend school functions, we encounter people we've known for years from daycare, church, and from around the neighbourhood. We are also within walking distance of a university, which fills our community with interesting, intelligent people. Several of the boys' friends have professors or lecturers for parents.

... Main Man's recent pat on the back from his boss. The magazine that he's been editting for the last few issues is at deadline right now. In Main Man's boss's last readover before it was off to the printer, she scratched out her own name as editor-in-chief and wrote in Main Man's name. It's official. He passed his "trial period".

... #1 making it onto the volleyball team at school. He worked so hard, and was so nervous! It seems he's a fixture on the team now, though. He's been up and at it, ready for 7:30 a.m. practices three days this week. And, if you knew him, you would know that that's saying something. I'm afraid he hates mornings even more than his mother does!

There's much more I am thankful for, but I'm also thankful for my job, and I can't afford to be late, so it's time I signed off for today.

Have a great week, everybody!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy these posts. I guess I'm thankful you write them. It reminds me to think,be thankful, of stuff I tend to brush aside as trivial..
Not that I think your things are trivial. Just nice..

Lowa said...

I agree with Happy. These are very nice. I need to start something like this, I am sure you won't mind if I copy you???

That is awesome about your hubby's job! Good for him!

You live near the U of R?? I used to walk from work at the Burger King on Albert Street all the way to the U of R. In the winter. As you know, there is not much shelter from the wind in Regina! Frost-bite story to come on my blog one day soon perhaps:) Is the Owl still there?? I think that was what it was called, near a Mac's by the U of R?? My bro lived on...Niven Ave?? Maybe McNiven?? Can't recall. And I lived on another street near there that I can't think of the name of right now. Man...I miss that city!

Good for #1! Keep us posted on his volleyball career:)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like some awesome things to be thankful for. Your neighborhood sounds great!

Bathroom Hippo said...


I'm thankful for your little dog too.

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

You're right, LM. There really is so much to be thankful for, but it looks like you haven't done too badly at all.

love

Library Mama said...

Happy - Thank you for your kind comment. I'm glad you enjoy them. I enjoy doing them, too, and I think it's a good exercise, thinking about all the good in one's life. It's too easy sometimes to dwell on the bad.

Lowa - I would not mind in the least if you take up the Thankful Thursday torch. I received the torch from BlondeMom, and I would consider it an honour to pass it on to others. :-)

And, yes, we are close to the U of R. We're also quite close to McNiven Avenue. Alas, much to the boys' chagrin, we are not close to the Burger King. That would have been quite a walk!

I think the Owl is the pub on campus. The one you're thinking of had a few different names over the years - Winston's, The Dizzy Monk. They moved that building and built a McDonald's in its place.

Jamie - It is a great neighbourhood!

Hippo - I'm waiting for the punchline here, Hip!

Susan - No, not too badly at all!

Karen - I can't even complain about driving #1 to practice; he simply walks across the street!

Feel completely free to join in on Thankful Thursdays. :-)

Big Pissy said...

Well, here you are!

Did you take your blog down for a while? I haven't been able to access it....

probably just me and my weak (non-existent) computer skills!

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Here's looking forward to your next post, Library Mama.
love

Visits