Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Bracing News


My #1 got his braces today. He's doing pretty well.

I think he's adorable. As a teenager, I always thought the guys with braces were cute. Guess I still do.

Funny the little things kids worry about. A new girl in #1's class has braces, and she has a bit of a speech problem. #1 thought her speech concerns were caused by her braces, and he worried that his braces would do the same for him. He's relieved that they haven't.

Tomorrow evening, # 1's jazz band has a concert. I hope he'll be able to play. We've been told that it's much easier to play the sax than the trumpet after getting braces, so I have my fingers crossed.

Tomorrow is also career fair at his school, so he'll be presenting all afternoon. I hope he'll be okay.

I'm pleased that he's not shy about smiling with his new grills. Actually, I think he quite fancies them. Maybe he believes his old mom that he looks cute in them.

Bracing Update: When #1 came home for lunch, one of his front brace brackets had come loose. I rushed him to the ortho over his lunch hour to get it fixed. The ortho is really a great guy - he fixed it right away and was very apologetic for the pain caused as he did. (BTW - He's a real cutie too. I think #1 will need his mother to accompany him to all future appointments. Dad just won't do.) #1 still had time to eat lunch at home before heading back to school. He seems to be coping with career fair pretty well.

6 comments:

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

LM, your love as a mummy, shining through bright and clear. :-)

Library Mama said...

I think it almost hurt me more than it hurt him when he had them put on, Susan. ;-)

Dino said...

oh I hated braces of course in my time it was a retainer

Library Mama said...

Katy - He's scheduled to have braces for about 2 years, followed by a retainer for 2 - 4 years. It's going to be a long haul.

Lowa said...

Jock WANTS braces. He is so mad that our ortho won't put them on until more of his teeth fall out and his jaw does a little more moving. Says it will be a waste and we would need to do it over again and he refuses to waste his father and I's money this way. Of course, Stud and I LOVE this guy and appreciate it. Jock is ticked!!!

I hope his band concert goes well! I remember getting mine on, they were on for FOUR YEARS. Cryptic needs to get something done soon, and it looks as if at least all of our boys will need braces at some point or another.Princess likely will too. Four out of four kids!??!

*sigh* Ka-Ching!

Library Mama said...

Lowa - You are so right about the "Ka-Ching"! I wrote a cheque yesterday for $1000, and that doesn't count the 26 (smaller) post-dated cheques that follow. Luckily, my insurance will pay a little less than half, but it's still a pretty big bite out of our finances. Get it? Bite? Haha!

Visits