Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Monday, February 12, 2007

Am I in David Lynch Film?

Some surreal observations from our evening out on Saturday:

- a woman at least seventy years old dancing among the college crowd. She danced alone, and she appeared to be sitting alone. She had the figure of a prima ballerina and she danced beautifully. It was difficult to take your eyes off of her.

- two young women with serious big hair, dancing suggestively with drinks in their hands. Did I say suggestively? It looked like they were about to switch into lap-dance mode at any moment. One of them appeared to be pregnant; however it could simply have been what she was wearing. Still, the surreality of it all was too much to bear.

- a young woman with dwarfism who was with two very tall friends. Perhaps from our vantage point up in the balcony, the height difference among the three of them was exaggerated, but, added to the other incidents, it bore retelling.

And now for the piece de resistance....

- as we left the warmth of the building and walked out into the brick wall of frigidity (we're still in the deep-freeze here), we passed a rather dumpy young man bundled up from the cold, speaking into his cell-phone. The phrase we overheard as we passed?

"Yes, but you hurt me too, Mother!"

13 comments:

Dino said...

see thats why I love watching people in places like clubs, bars and airports. My favorite people watch spot is venice beach.

mist1 said...

I think someone spiked your drink.

Library Mama said...

Katy - I bet Venice Beach is a great place to watch people. Maybe someday I'll get a chance to find out.

Mist - That's exactly what it felt like!

Lowa said...

Good heavens!

What a night:) There sure are some interesting people out there, eh??

I could yap more, but I am off to help Princess write out her #$%~*!*!* Valentines. Seems so tedious to me. Is this what you were trying to point out the other day??

*grumble*

Bathroom Hippo said...


I'm with Mist on this one.

=D I missed you.

Library Mama said...

Lowa - I'm with ya on the valentine issue. We were almost finished, and our stupid dog chewed some of them up, so we have to re-do a whole bunch. Bleccch!

Hippo - Missed you more!

BlondeMom - Hah! What a great idea. If #1 had been with us, that's what he would have wanted to do. He's totally into YouTube right now.

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Hi LM,
With all this characters, I think you've just written yourself a theatre play. :-)
Happy Valentine's Day and a big hug.

Library Mama said...

Ha, you're right, Susan! Feel free to use any of these characters in your play if they fit.

Happy Valentine's Day to you, too!

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentines Day..
I would stop going out if my evenings were like that, ha,ha..

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

oh..oh...just spotted my error a day later! How embarassing! :-)
Meant to say, "...with all these characters..." and not otherwise!

Big Pissy said...

Wow! What a night!

It does have the hint of a spiked drink to it, I must say. ;-)

Big Pissy said...

Wow! What a night!

It does have the hint of a spiked drink to it, I must say. ;-)

Library Mama said...

Happy - So great to have you back! And luckily not many our our evenings out are like that.

Susan - You and I have know each other long enough that I knew exactly what you meant to say.

Pissy - You can say that again! ;-)

Visits