Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Band of Brothers and Sisters


Last night was "February Blues" at our local high school. Performing were various jazz groups from the school community.

The first act was a little group called "Junior Green and Gold". They happen to have a very talented first saxophone called #1.

It was a lovely evening. There were tables laid out with blue tablecloths and flickering candles. Exotic coffees and caloric cheesecakes were available. Main Man and I felt as if it was date night, even with #3 sitting between us.

Although the acts on stage - both orchestral and vocal - were spectacular, I enjoyed the entertainment offstage just as much. Watching these music students with their friends touched my heart. This is the culture I want my boys to be a part of when they enter that big scary place called high school.

When I was their age, I attended a tiny rural high school. There were six students in my graduating class. Although I admit wholeheartedly that that situation gave me distinct advantages with regard to things like student/teacher ratio and social situations (It's hard to maintain a "clique" with only six kids.), occasions such as last night's "Blues" give me pause to consider what I might have missed out on. How wonderful to have a music program at all, let alone a jazz program comprehensive enough to provide an entire evening of entertainment. And even more wonderful to have a group of friends who live for the same things you do. Imagine being able to choose your friends based on interests and values and not on geography. It would have been unfathomable in my high school experience.

The high school our boys will attend is perhaps the largest in our city. Last night, in addition to #1's elementary group, two jazz bands and two vocal groups performed. These ensembles were formed only from students from the high school. The population of the school is huge, and the talent is immense. The friendship and camaraderie amongst this particular group of kids, though, is palpable: the way they cheer each other on, the way they send an encouraging glance or smile after a friend performs a solo, the way they wave to one another on and off stage.

Because #1 is part of the jazz band, he is getting to know kids from other elementary schools in the high school area. These will be his friends when he enters those formidable hallowed halls. He will have a safety net that other kids may not have, because he is beginning to weave that net now, two years before he really needs it.

Last night, I could see that he is already amongst his band of brothers and sisters.

8 comments:

Dino said...

wow how cool they didn't have bands in my school

Library Mama said...

Katy - I could have joined the school band when I was #1's age, but I would have to drive many miles to another school once a week for classes, and I don't think my parents thought it was worth it. I took piano lessons and singing lessons instead.

Big Pissy said...

My oldest daughter was in show choir from 7th grade through 12th.

My youngest daughter was on the dance line in high school, which was part of the band.

They each consider it the best experience they had while in school. :)

Library Mama said...

I'm so glad to hear that, Pissy, and I hope that will be #1's experience as well.

Bathroom Hippo said...


Wow...six students in your graduating class? There were less than a hundred in mine...keeping in mind I dropped out of high-school!

I asked some friends in college what their graduating class size was and it was always in the thousands. Me and you are rare LM. Very rare.

Library Mama said...

I like being rare, Hippo. Makes me feel important. I especially like being rare with you!

;-)

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

What an exciting life you have, LM. Each of your days feels vibrant, lively and different. :-)

Library Mama said...

Thank you, Susan. I rarely feel that I live an exciting life, but I often feel very busy, and I suppose they are the same, really, aren't they?

Visits