Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Sunday, May 27, 2007

This time of year...

...seems to bring out the real craziness in my business.

A few weeks ago, a friend from the university told me that one of her profs had speculated in class that in the next five to ten years there will be a new designation of student requiring special ed help. This student will be labelled "The Pampered Child" and will require special ed help because they possess no problem-solving skills.

At first I thought she was joking, but then I encountered the following.

One day last week a parent of four told one of my colleagues, "Every day when my children get home from school I ask them how their day was."

Okay, I know what you're thinking - probably the same thing I was at this point in the story - "That's nice."

Just wait...

She continued on, "If any one of them can't tell me something positive, I call the school right away."

Wow! Think of the problem-solving skills those kids must have!

6 comments:

Lowa said...

WOW!

But some days are better than others. Why would this woman do that?? Well, you can't answer that, so why am I asking you?? LOL

Yep, I bet those kids think fast, huh??

Library Mama said...

We teachers know, Lowa, that if one of us so much as looks at one of those children the wrong way, we'll get a phone call. It really is strange.

And yes, those children couldn't find their way out of a paper bag if Mommy wasn't there to guide the way.

Anonymous said...

This gives me flashbacks of my time in the trenches. I want to go hide under a blanket now.

Library Mama said...

Can I hide with you, Carrie? Just until the end of June? Please?

Dino said...

god forbid the kid didn't have a good day lets make it the schools fault

Library Mama said...

You've got it, Katie. It's always the school's fault!

Visits