Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Somedays I Feel Like Joining the Circus...


You know, somedays the most bizarre part of my job is dealing with the parents. The kids are really a delight compared to their parents.

The circus is coming to town. Our school, like many others in the vicinity, have received vouchers to distribute to the younger students. These vouchers can be traded in at ticket outlets for circus tickets.

A friend of mine who teaches Grade Two received this phone call today at noon hour.

Hello, Mrs. M. I'm calling to let you know that my husband and I are dead set against circuses, particularly those that exploit animals. When Emma (name changed to protect the innocent) came home with her circus voucher, she promptly threw it in the garbage. We were very proud of her. We do feel, however, that she is old enough to make her own decisions about a topic such as this, and she has decided to attend the circus after all. Would you please send another voucher home with her this afternoon?

Is it just me, or is that not one of the strangest things you've ever heard?

Maybe I've just become an incredibly jaded teacher. Actually, there's no maybe about it; I have become cynical and jaded.

Still though, is that bizarre or what??

4 comments:

Dino said...

I think they are just angeling for another ticket!

Library Mama said...

And you know, Katy, I don't think my friend would have minded sending a second voucher at all, had she not had to sit through all the self-righteous garbage thrown at her first.

I mean, really, the woman spoke to her as if it was her (the teacher's) fault that animals were used in circuses.

Lowa said...

Wow! Odd for sure.

It takes all kinds, eh??

Library Mama said...

Sure does, Lowa, and we seem to get 'em all at our school. ;-)

Visits