Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Thankful Thursday


This week, I am thankful for many things, but I will write about one particular one.

A week ago today, I was frantically getting a C. V. together. I had not applied for a job in 18 years, but I was going to take the leap and apply for a new job.

First, I need to establish something: I love my job. I had not been scanning the employment pages for weeks, desperately seeking a way out of my dead-end job. That was not my situation at all.

However, a job had materialised that I was interested in. It was with the same school division I have been teaching in for almost 20 years, and it would mean no report cards to fill out, no parent-teacher interviews to smile through, and virtually no marking to take up my weekends. It was an itinerant position in which I would visit six specific schools and help their staffs design and carry out "literacy programs". Basically, lots of work with teachers, some work with students, and none of the stuff listed above which is burning me out. There would be a fair bit of driving involved, but I like driving. And in this position, I would get paid for my mileage, as driving is a requisite for the job.

I worked really hard on getting this job. My Mother's Day weekend was completely engulfed in preparations for the interview: buying just the right outfit and shoes (not easy among all those Pussycat Doll shoes!), reading up on theories and methodologies of teaching reading and writing, anticipating questions and preparing the perfect answer for each one.

Well, folks, I didn't even get an interview for the job.

And I can honestly say that I am grateful.

As I already wrote, I love my job. I really do. And I think I love my job even more now.

Every day the kids I work with make me smile.

And over the past few days, every time I've smiled at work, I've said to myself, "How could you have considered giving this up?"

Really, how could I have considered giving it all up?

9 comments:

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

Sounds like you are very fortunate to have such a great job...one that is rewarding and one that you love!

Dino said...

for me loving a job is a prerequisite. I can't do my work if I don't enjoy it.

Big Pissy said...

It's great having a job you love.
Good for you! :)

Bathroom Hippo said...


My Mother's day wasn't that great. It may be the fact that I'm not a mother, or the fact that I'm male, but nevertheless...it was not a day to be thankful for over on this side of the pond...I mean..land.

Anonymous said...

Looks like all the work was worth it if you figured out you loved your job even more than you thought you did!

Unknown said...

And it makes me happy to read how you feel about it all....

Library Mama said...

Jamie - I am fortunate, and maybe it took something like this to help me realize it.

Katy - And you have so many jobs, too. Do you really love them all?

Pissy - I do love it - and that isn't always easy to say at this time of year in my profession! ;-)

Hippo - I'm sorry you didn't have a good Mother's Day. Were you with your mom?

Carrie - That's a great way to look at the situation. Thanks.

JC - You know, I hope I don't sound like it's sour grapes speaking, because I really do mean that the whole ordeal made me love my job more.

Anonymous said...

I really detest the whole interview, CV, talk about me process.

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

You're a born teacher, LM. Even I learn something new from you everyday. :)

Visits