Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Christmas Cards

I usually love getting Christmas cards.

Reading about people's goings-on, seeing photos of their children as they grow a year taller, knowing that our friends are thinking of us, all of that makes opening the mailbox on my way home from work at this time of year a little more exciting.

Main Man gets corporate and political cards full of generic wishes. I'm not big on those. But they do add colour and visual interest to our card display.

Yesterday, though, we got a Christmas greeting that made me shake my head. It was from a family who used to be our neighbours. Their children attended the same daycare as ours, and we occasionally visited back and forth when they lived in our neighbourhood. Four or five years ago, they moved on to greener pastures, also known as that area of the city with huge new houses dwarfing tiny trees. We've basically lost touch. I often muse that they feel that they have "outgrown" us.

The card - and I use the term loosely - consisted of a photo of their family on what appears to be a private yacht in some tropical clime. There was no letter, no greeting even, just a signature on the photo.....

The Johnson's

(real name withheld to protect the innocent)

Even a "Merry Christmas" would have been nice.

11 comments:

Dino said...

yeah but "those" kind of people can not be bothered to handwrite cards and I am sure they use the card on several occasions so they couldn't print it on the card

Library Mama said...

Hi Katy - I know. That's exactly what crossed my mind.

I suppose I should be grateful that they thought to include us, but still...

Grumps said...

I know Mentok doesn't approve but I really prefer newsletters. Sure they're form, but they're also informative and, (as we do) people put a lot of thought into what to say.

Grumpspouse would probably disagree but, to me, greeting cards are the grossest form of holiday commercialization. They're the Cheez Whiz of the season. Why cut a slice when you can scoop it out of the jar or squeeze it out of the tube? We get so many that are just signed with no message, I doubt if the sender even looked at the card. This is why I no longer buy/give cards.

Anonymous said...

If I got a card like that I would dress my kids and myself in rags and take our picture under the bridge next to a box with our family name written on it.
Then I'd sign it and send it to them..

..................... said...

well, they must have put on the stamp themselves? that's something, ain't it.
yes, but i do agree..

Merry Christmas.......:), btw..

Mentok said...

grumps - I'm not actually opposed to Christmas newsletters (I write one myself), I'm just opposed to badly written Christmas letters. There are few things I dread more than receiving a five-page missive from someone's elderly maiden aunt describing the incredibly boring life stories of everyone related to her. For this reason, as you know, I've resorted to writing Xmas letters composed of bullet points.

I share Library Mama's dislike of impersonal photo cards and this card in particular, but I think we have to admit that, rather comically, our resentment about this couple caused both of us to see things that weren't there the first time we looked at the card.

First, it wasn't a tropical paradise, it was a Saskatchewan lake. Second, it wasn't a yacht, it was a six-foot mini sailing skiff, like a Laser only not as nice.

But it sure looked like a yacht to me too the first time I looked at that card.

The main point is that we were once friends with these people, we wouldn't mind hearing what's up with them but they're too stuck up now to break a sweat over keeping in touch.

Anonymous said...

Oops, I'm sending out an "impersonal photo card" this year. I'm writing stuff on the back -- does that count?

--Information Goddess

Lowa said...

This is pretty funny! LOL

I mean, that it was not as impressive as you initially thought.

Not taking the time to pen a quick personal "Hello and Merry Christmas" or something is quite hurtful, though.

I understand how busy you are, I'm not going anywhere!


Hope all is well!

Library Mama said...

Grumps - I rather like Christmas form letters. I like to read about people's lives over the last year, especially if I haven't seen them for a long time. (And who cares what Mentok thinks?)

Happy - I'd love to see that card! ;-)

Schaumi - Thanks for the Merry Christmas.

Mentok - For the record, I do not admit that the photograph is not from a tropical location.

Info Goddess - I look forward to getting your photo card. Yours will be totally different because 1) you keep in touch with us throughout the year, and 2) you will probably write at least Merry Christmas or something to that effect.

Karen - Great to have you back! I'm glad you had a relaxing time in "corn country". I bet everyone there was thrilled to see your new addition.

Lowa - Great to have you back, too. And I think if you saw this "card", you would have the same first impression I did. :-)

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

I'm here to wish you & Mentok & the kids a very merry christmas, happy holidays and an enriching new year.

And LM...thank you for your lovely friendship all this year. God Bless

Unknown said...

that wasn't a Christmas Card, that was a "brag card"!

Merry Christmas and isn't winter break the greatest invention since sliced bread?

Visits