Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Thankful Thursday


This week I am thankful ...

... for my very own bed after being away on vacation for ten days. As Dorothy so eloquently put it, "There's no place like home!"

... that I still have three quarters of my summer holiday remaining.

... for the summer children's programs offered by our public library. Today we saw a performance called George and the Jester, a one-man show where the guy acted like a court jester and taught about medieval life. He was an interesting guy, a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism, and he had handbuilt a lot of his props including a rare Irish harp, a lute, and a cross-bow. #2, especially, found it very interesting.

... to have Ruffy back. He didn't come on our vacation with us, and we missed him very much. He had fun too, though, as he stayed with the lady who gave him to us two years ago. She and her husband love him very much, and their grandchildren enjoyed playing with Ruff when they visited.

... for good friends and neighbours who kept the home fires burning while we were away, like Ruffy's loving guardians, and our neighbours on either side who took in our mail and watered Main Man's garden. There were several break-ins in our neighbourhood while we were away, but, thanks to our diligent neighbours, our humble little home suffered no intrusions.

... for the beauty of summer gardens.

... for the energy to complete my new summer fitness routine. I've been determined to walk Ruffy every morning before anyone else wakes up (except when we were on vacation and he wasn't with us), and I've done well with that. This week I kicked it up an notch, though, and I've begun a walk / run routine in which I walk 100 steps, then jog 100 steps. It's gotten my heart rate up just that much faster, but it's achievable. I know that running the entire distance would be beyond me for sure.

... for our Science Centre. We have a family membership, and it's probably one of the best investments we've ever made. We spent part of the afternoon there yesterday, and it's amazing how they have such a wide variety of activities, something for everyone of any age.

... for good clean water to drink on a hot day.

... for family swim time at our local public pool. From 6:45 to 8:00 every evening, families swim for free. Yesterday was a hot, drippingly humid day, and a quick dip after supper was just what the doctor ordered.

I hope everybody has a fantastic week.

6 comments:

Bathroom Hippo said...


Not a very thankful Thursday for me. My co-worker just quit. I really liked her...we got a long just great. I'll never see her again, ever. It totally sucks.

Library Mama said...

Sorry to hear that, Hippo. Why won't you see her again? Couldn't you keep in touch?

Dino said...

mhh I guess I am thankful for the fact that while I didn't make any money tonight I did get a chance to take food home and have dinner with Grumpy

Library Mama said...

I hope it was good! And I know you appreciate any time you get to spend with Grumpy. :-)

Lowa said...

Wow, these are awesome things to be thankful for!

Is that Science Centre fairly new?? I never knew that they had anything like that!

Not only will I e-mail you...maybe I could pop in for a visit?? How do I e-mail you?? Should I check your profile?? Let me check your profile! I'll be back later, or else maybe I will e-mail you later. I spent today in the hospital with my friend who has thyrod cancer. She got got the thyroid taken out on Tuesday and they discharged her too soon. So we spent the day in the ER and now I have her two sons over tonight. WHat a day it has been! I will write more tomorrow, even though we need to pack since we leave at 7 AM on Sat...*YAWN*...WHINE...LOL

Library Mama said...

The Science Centre has been here for quite a while, actually. Sometime you should make the trip to come see it. It's well worth it.

Sorry to hear about your friend. I hope she's doing well.

Visits