Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Harry Has Left the Building


Last night we took the boys to the largest bookstore in town to attend the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows launch party. It was a festive evening filled with costumes, treats and excitement.

The Science Centre mentioned in my last entry had people there hosting "Potions Classes" and showing off animals that wizards may have such as snakes, mice, and lizards. There was a craft table set up with colouring sheets and paper neckties and spectacles you could colour and decorate. A magician performed late in the evening. At one second past midnight, when the book was finally released, there was a reading of the first chapter by the fireplace.

The anticipation was palpable as children ran among the stacks. Teenagers hung out in packs attempting to look indifferent. I heard one young twenty-something say to another, "Let's head next door for a beer and come back later." People began lining up at the cash desk hours ahead of time waiting to buy their copy, and there was a line-up in a different area of the store for those who had pre-paid. People of all ages awaited their chance to know the fate of the most famous boy wizard ever.

Although we had no plans to stay until midnight, #1 ran into some friends and wanted to stick around. Main Man and I took the little ones home around 11:00 and he returned to retrieve #1 later.

We haven't bought the book yet. I did put it on hold at the library, but we are 157th in line, so I expect we will end up buying it sooner rather than later. #1 desperately wants to read it before someone spills the beans to him about what the ending will bring.

I expect it will be the first title on the first purchase order I write for my library in the fall, as well.

5 comments:

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

I think I am literally the only person on the planet NOT reading the book!

MissZoot.com is even doing podcasts on it.

Library Mama said...

Well, I'm not reading it yet, Jamie, but I probably will read it to the little boys. #1 will devour it quickly on his own, I'm sure.

To be honest, although I've read all of the books (I suppose I feel it my duty as a teacher-librarian), I'm not an ultra-huge fan. I really think Rowling could have used a more assertive editor; the last few are miles too long. And one just merges into another in my memory. The boys astound me with their talent of being able to spout off what happened in which book. I could never do that.

Dino said...

I think it is cool that there is a book/series out that gets all these kids/adults to turn of the TV and read. I am waiting for the last movie before I'll start to read it.

Big Pissy said...

I can't believe you didn't buy it!

Such restraint! ;-)

Grumps said...

BabyGrumps and GrumpsJunior were both at the launch here. They've "taken turns" reading it over the past few days and when they're done, it's mine.

We saw the fifth movie and really enjoyed it - kids were disappointed that so much was left out but it really had to be unless they made a four hour long film. I thought it was superbly done and am always amazed at how they cast the characters so well - esp. Umbridge in this one.

Visits