Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

The Language Police Are On the Job


#3 and I went to the first puppet show of the summer season at the library yesterday. We were treated to a very entertaining rendition of Walter the Farting Dog.

You can vividly imagine, I'm sure, the hoots of laughter emanating from the crowd, chiefly consisting of children ranging from three to eight years old, every time the puppeteers gasped the word "fart" or sounded the whoopie cushion (every thirty seconds or so).

#3 was no exception. He enjoyed almost every second of the performance. I say "almost", because there was one moment when his giggles gave way to a frown of perplexity and discomfort.

In one scene two burglars invade Walter's home in the night. Not wishing to wake anyone, one of the intruders tells the other to "Shut up!"

A shadow instantly crossed #3's face and he scooted over to the side where I was seated to inform me, "There are little kids here. They shouldn't say, 'Shut up'!"

Yes, it's nice to know that he's on the job!

8 comments:

Dino said...

oh thats so cute that he is worried about what language people use around little kids

Anonymous said...

What a good boy!

I never knew that shut-up was a bad word until I found myself saying it to Erik one day and I just wanted to melt through the floor in shame. It really is bad.

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

And as always, a proud Mama you, LM. :-)

Bathroom Hippo said...


And yet when I talk about my farting dog nobody seems to give a sh*t.

Happy post Canada day. =D

a happier girl said...

It's always nice to now that they're listening to what you tell them.

Big Pissy said...

Awwwwwww!!!

Cute! :)

Bettina said...

Oh, isn't he a good boy! Looking out for the little kids.

Lowa said...

This is so cute!

Puts me in mind of our friends. They get upset at our kids if they say "Stupid" or "Crap". Their kids gasp and are horrified if our kids say "Shut Up", yet they say "GD-it!", "Sh*t", "A-hole" and every other word you can imagine!! Which to me, are far worse than shut up or stupid.

I have seen this book many times and just didn't check into it. My kids didn't even seem interested and they LOVE farts! Maybe we should check into it??

Visits