Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Monday, June 25, 2007

I'm All Barbecued Out!


This weekend I attended six barbecues. These were no ordinary barbecues, mind you. They were those extra-special community-type barbecues where you must leave your vegetables at the door. Only carnivores and carbivores allowed!

It started Friday at noon, when the school where I teach held their community barbecue.

Friday at suppertime, our boys' school had theirs.

Saturday morning was #3's soccer wind-up game, followed by a noon barbecue. Saturday afternoon was #1's soccer wind-up, followed by an early afternoon barbecue.

A little later on Saturday was #1's birthday party at which we treated five 12- and 13-year-old boys to - you guessed it - a barbecue. (Ed. note: Mini-carrots were offered at this one. Of course, I was the only one who ate them.)

Sunday afternoon was #2's softball wind-up, followed by yet one more barbecue.

Really, by Sunday afternoon, even the boys couldn't look at a hamburger or a hotdog.

We all went home and treated ourselves to a homegrown lettuce salad with all the trimmings - and not a barbecued item in sight!

6 comments:

Dino said...

gee and there I was complaining about the one BBQ I had to go to. I brought a dish to that one wanna guess???



cucumber salad yep no carb or meat in my dish!

Lowa said...

WOW! I feel sick just thinking about all that meat! EEEWWW. I enjoy a good burger now and again, but am not much of a fan of beef.

Cucumber salad!?? My mouth is watering! That sounds SO YUMMY!

Will catch up soon, not been on the computer much. Everything is fine, thanks for the well wishes. Just busy and having fun and not at all interested in getting on the computer. When I do, I can't think of anything to say on anyone's blog, but I HAVE been enjoying what I have read of your's:) Thanks for not giving up on me!

Rick Rockhill said...

I totally understand about the BBQ overload...the past few weekends its been non-stop here.

Thanks for stopping by today, great to hear from you. You might be interested to see Tuesday's post on my library at home!

Grumps said...

Aussie BBQ by Eric Bogle

(You can download it from ITunes)

When the summer sun is shining on Australia's happy land
Round countless fires, in strange attire in many solemn bands
Of glum Australians watching as the lunch goes up in flames
By the smoke and the smell you can plainly tell, that it's barby time again

Chorus: When the steaks are burning fiercely, when the smoke gets in your eyes
When the snags all taste like fried toothpaste and your mouth is full of flies
It's a national institution, it's Australian through and through
So come on mate and grab your plate, let's have a barbeque

The Scots eat lots of haggis, the French eat snails and frogs
The Greeks throw kakis on their mousakis, and the Chinese love hot dogs
The Welshmen love to have a leek, the Irish like thier stew
But you just can't beat that half-cooked meat at an Aussie barbeque

Chorus

There's flies stuck to the margarine, the bread has gone rock hard
The kids are fighting and the mossies are biting, who forgot the Aeroguard?
There's bull ants in the eskie, and the beer is running out
And what you saw in Mom's cole slaw, you just don't think about

Chorus

And when the barby's over and your homeward way you wend
With a queezy tummy on the family dummy, many lonely hours you'll spend
You might find yourself reflecting, like many often do
Come rain or shine that's the bloody last time that you'll have a barbeque!

Chorus

Library Mama said...

Katy - I'm with Lowa. Your salad sounds great. Is it as simple as it sounds?

Lowa - Glad to hear all is well and that life is happily busy. Sounds great!

Savant - Thanks for pointing out your new post. As you predicted, I love it!

Grumps - I know your feelings about eating al fresco, and I can't say I share them, but, yes, this weekend was pretty over the top! (BTW, Grumps, don't forget your anniversary later this week. ;-)

BarbaraMG said...

You can only eat so many barbequed hot dogs. They sound so good thinking about though! Nothing like a hot dog with onions and mustard. Mmmm!

Visits