Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Monday, August 20, 2007

Canoe Handle It?


Tomorrow morning #1 is off on a wilderness canoe trip with a group of youth from our church.

I'm sure he'll have a phenomenal time, but, as is a mother's prerogative, I'm worried for him. I'm worried it will rain and he'll be cold and wet. I'm worried he'll drop his backpack in the river and ruin all his stuff. I'm worried he'll run out of toilet paper. I'm worried he'll miss me. (Yeah right - as if that last one will ever happen!)

I've packed his backpack for him, including waterproofing everything as well as I could. I managed to roll up his sleeping bag with his pillow, air mattress and pump all in one roll. I've done everything I possibly can to make his trip safe, comfortable and enjoyable. I guess the rest is up to him.

He has no doubt that he'll have a great time, but he hasn't had the life experience I've had that allows me to look at the situation in a much more realistic (or is that pessimistic?) manner.

2 comments:

Dino said...

hold it since when does one take an air matress and a pump on a wilderness trip and pillow? What happened to just sleeping in a sleeping bag?

as for the rest yes it is your job to worry and his to have fun

Lowa said...

I know, that sucks, eh?? I wish I could stop worrying so much and just let go. *sigh* This mothering thing is really hard sometimes, eh??

Man, he IS treated well. An air mattress?? You are talented, getting all that packed up for him. Mine don't LET me pack for them. They have done it on their own since they were about six. *sniff* Always makes me sad. They grow up fast enough as it is, you know?? Course, they have NO trouble with allowing me to cook for them and do their laundry...

Visits