Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Friday, November 23, 2007

STRESS with a Capital S


Today was report card day. It's a really stressful time for me. Three times a year I get to experience mind-numbing stress and debilitate my family with my vile temper.

I like to think that I would be diligent with my responsibilities in any case, but I teach in an interesting community. It's a suburban community in which most of the population is composed of urban professionals with college educations and expectations of the same for their children. Many of them tend to hold the teacher responsible if any of their little darlings get a mark which doesn't please them. It is very important for me to have documentation up the wazoo in order to justify every mark on every report card.

Next week - Tuesday and Wednesday evenings to be exact - parent-teacher interviews will be held. Those are the height of stress. Christmas can begin in our household and in my heart when those are over with.

The kicker of it all is that last night we received an email from my mother-in-law informing us that my sister-in-law (Main Man's sister) is experiencing a very stressful time. I believe the quote was "STRESS with a capital S". Her stressful time is that she is in the process of preparing to move her family into her dream house (with the financial help of my mother-in-law; it's a long story - for another time, perhaps). She (my sister-in-law), incidentally, is a stay-at-home-mom (something I've dreamed of being all my life but, alas, I don't have the nerve to ask others to pay my bills; if I sound bitter, I am).

My mother-in-law will be staying at our house overnight tonight. If my sister-in-law's STRESS becomes a topic of conversation, I may pull someone's tongue out.

2 comments:

Lowa said...

*HUG*

Will try to e-mail you soon!

Bathroom Hippo said...


Yeah I also hate when people moan about their problems in front of you when we ourselves have bigger ones.

It's like...."bleh".

But the best part about stress is knowing there is an end. Recently there was a girl stressing and depressing me for four months. I was a train wreck. But a week ago I made it known that she was no-longer a friend. And wow you wouldn't believe how much better I feel. I still feel like crap but feeling like crap is ten times better than what I used to feel like!

I guess the best thing about hard times is that when simpler times approach we deal with them far better and appreciate them more.

I'm gonna ask this girl out on Sunday, she may so no, but I've been through hell the past four months so big deal if she says no. It's good to be back.

How have you been?

Visits