Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Monday, November 05, 2007

Mother Guilt


I'm encountering heavy doses of "mother guilt" these days. It's no one's fault. No one is intentionally doing it to me. It's just me, wishing I could do a better job.

#3 had a terrible cough in the night. He should probably sleep in this morning and stay home from school. But no, I can't let him do that. I'm already taking a day off later this week, so I can't just out-of-the-blue call in and say I won't be at school today.

#2 is performing a reading at his school's Remembrance Day ceremony later this week. Of course, I am unable to attend.

#1 has a volleyball game after school tomorrow, but, because of musical rehearsal, I can't go to that, either. (Side note: I've only missed one other game so far, and Main Man hasn't been to any of them. I suppose this time it may be his turn.)

I just wish I could be everywhere. We're constantly told at work about how expectations are high, and accountability is very important, but that leaves no room sometimes for expectations and accountability at home.

3 comments:

Dino said...

i am sure you are doing great and the kids understand you can;t be everywhere at once

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

Even with my flex time work schedule I missed my daughter's very first kindergarten field trip! (But then I went to her second one last week, so that seemed to make up for it.)

Just do the best you can do and your kids will know!

Library Mama said...

Katy - Thanks for the pep talk. My kids have always said that they are glad that I work. Hopefully they're not just telling me what they think I want to hear.

Jamie - I'm glad you made it to the second field trip. Hope you both had a ball. I hope you're right in your last sentence! ;-)

Visits