Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...
- Library Mama
- I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.
Wednesday, July 30, 2008
From Vegetables to Musicals
I'm trying to decide if I should go downtown to the Farmer's Market this morning. It's overcast - dark actually - and I just know that by the time I get there it will be raining. I'm afraid I'm not quite that devoted to locally grown produce. I know, I know, in some people's eyes that makes me a bad person. Well, so be it.
I went to see Mamma Mia! last night. Loved it! Main Man decided to come with me, and I don't think he loved it as much. The early show sold out, so we went to the late one, which was dangerously close to doing the same. Still, we counted the males in the audience, and I think we achieved a grand total of 19.
So - yes- it's a chick flic. So what? I adored the kitschy-ness of it all.
We had seen the stage musical when it danced through town a couple of years ago, and I think Main Man enjoyed that more than the movie. I enjoyed them both - in different ways. I didn't really find the stage musical kitschy, and that was what I considered one of the best parts of the movie.
1. I'm not a big Meryl Streep fan, but she was amazing in this. She sings beautifully, and with real emotion. I also got the feeling she was loving every minute of participating in this production.
2. Pierce Brosnan can't sing very well, but he makes for great older-guy eye candy.
3. Julie Walters mesmerizes me when she's on the screen. I love her. She is hilarious in this, but I've also seen her in more serious roles that she masters perfectly.
4. Colin Firth seems like he would be the nicest guy if you ever really met him. Who knows though? Maybe he's just a really good actor.
5. If/when you see this movie, make sure you stay for the closing credits. There are scenes worth seeing as the credits run.
6. If possible, see this one with your girlfriends, girls, and not with your main man.
People and Places I Like to Visit
- ► 2007 (119)