Thoughts on motherhood, marriage, education, and life in general...

About Me

My photo
I am a mom, a wife, and a teacher-librarian. I have four boys at home: Main Man (44), #1 (14), #2 (11), and #3 (7). Although they keep me very busy, I also look after a library for an elementary student population of 500 (give or take). I love my family; I love my job.

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Power, Anyone?


On the way home from work today, I ran into a stretch of road where they were doing some construction. They had a policewoman in the middle of the intersection directing traffic. She was doing a fantastic job. She had the required air of authority, and all of the rush hour traffic was courteously following her directions.

As I awaited my turn to proceed, my mind travelled through an interesting maze of thought.

My first thought was, "Oh, sure, send the little woman out to direct traffic while the men do the important jobs!"

My second thought was, "Wow, she's good - and look at the power she has. Look at how all of these people are obeying her, even during rush hour when they're all stressed and in a hurry to get home."

My third thought was, "I would be terrified being her. I never want that much power!"

4 comments:

Dino said...

i think I'd be afraid that I get run over by some idiot driver

Mentok said...

Did you see the picture in the paper the other day of the woman in the bomb squad gear? It was a local story (the bottle rockets) so I almost wonder if it was the same woman. Maybe they stick her with all the shit jobs.

"Hey, sweetcakes, why don't you go check out this bomb thing for us. Us guys have to go check out a, uh, um, situation over at the Tim Horton's."

She looked pretty hot in her bomb squad gear though. Well, her eyes anyway. Sort of like a high tech burka.

Anonymous said...

Love the second thought, though especially that she gets to keep her femininity.
Must be a surreal feeling.
with love.

Big Pissy said...

dino aka katy took my comment! ;-)

Visits